Learning Center > Closing the Deal > Property Information

Property Information

 Email a link to this page
print this page Print this page

Lead Paint

Since 1978, lead-based paint has been banned from use in residences. Sellers of properties built prior to that year are required to:

  • Disclose known lead-based paint in the property
  • Provide buyers with any available reports on lead in the property
  • Give buyers a H.U.D. pamphlet entitled "Protect Your Family From Lead in Your Home"
Condominiums and Homeowners Associations (HOAs)

If you’re buying a condominium or a home in a planned development, there are things you need to know about common areas, monthly fees, and the organization's budget, potential liabilities, etc. Condominiums and HOAs may also have regulations regarding architectural requirements, limitations on pets, and age restrictions (i.e., senior housing). These matters must be disclosed to the buyer, who will then have a period of time to review the information and then have the option to terminate the Agreement of Sale.

Among the documents the buyer will be provided are:
  • Declaration of Restrictions, Covenants and Conditions
  • Articles of Incorporation
  • Association Bylaws
  • Financial statements, including operating budget, estimated revenue and expenses, reserves, and regular and special assessments
  • A statement describing legal issues affecting the condominium or HOA
  • A summary of insurance coverage and costs
  • A statement describing any restrictions on ownership
Megan’s Law.

If a registered sex offender lives in the neighborhood in which you want to locate, you have the right to investigate – this is made possible due to a 1996 statute known as "Megan’s Law." (Note that the seller does not have an obligation to provide this information to you.) To investigate, you may:

  • Log on to: http://caag.state.ca.us/megan/index.htm
  • Call (900) 448-3000 to access the California Sex Offender
  • Information Database. (There may be a charge to check names by telephone.)
  • Call your local police department to locate a CD-ROM records viewing